From warm drinks to Christmas festivities, the colder months have their own share of joys. But the dry winter air and low temperatures can wreak havoc on your scalp and hair, causing hair fall, breakage and dandruff. Hair oiling is one of the best ways to keep your scalp and locks moisturised and healthy. These DIY recipes add some extra ingredients targeted to deal with each problem you might face, making them an essential addition to your hair care routine. Whether you are experiencing a flaky scalp or hair breakage, or dry hair or intense hair fall, we have the right remedies for you. Simply take some oil in a bowl or in your hand, massage it slowly onto your scalp and put the excess on your lengths. Keep it on for at least two hours or overnight, wash it off with a clarifying shampoo, and observe the benefits.
Related Story: The Secret To Healthy Hair Is On Your Plate
1 . Hair Oil For Dull and Dry hair - Amla and Coconut Oil
● 10 gooseberries or amlas
● 1 cup coconut oil
1. Chop and deseed the gooseberries, and grind them to a fine paste with half the coconut oil.
2. In a pan, add the amla paste and the remaining coconut oil.
3. Boil it for 10-15 minutes, until the paste turns brown.
4. Strain the mixture and pour the oil into a bottle.
Benefits: The juice from the amla fruit is extremely hydrating, making it ideal for keeping your hair moisturised. Amla is rich in phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals, which can strengthen your hair and add shine and lustre.
2. Hair Oil for Hair fall - Curry Leaves and Methi Hair Oil
● 1 cup curry leaves
● 1 tbsp methi or fenugreek seeds
● 1 cup coconut oil
1. Grind the curry leaves and methi seeds into a fine paste.
2. In a pan, add the paste to the oil and bring to a gentle boil.
3. When the paste starts to turn dark, remove from heat.
4. Strain the oil and store in a bottle.
Benefits: Curry leaves are high in beta-carotene and amino acids, which can prevent hair fall and thinning of hair.
Related Story: Five Supplements to Stop Your Hair From Falling
3. Hair Oil for Dandruff - Neem Hair Oil
● ½ cup neem leaves
● 1 cup almond oil or olive oil
1. Grind the neem leaves with the required amount of oil.
2. Add the paste and the remaining oil in a pan, and boil until the paste starts to brown.
3. Cool the mixture, and strain the oil.
Benefits: Neem oil contains the active ingredient nimbidin, which is a known antifungal and antibacterial phytonutrient. This makes it the perfect treatment for scalp irritation and dandruff.
4. Hair Oil for Brittle Hair - Peppermint Oil and Carrier Oil
● Peppermint leaves
● Olive oil or grapeseed oil
1. Crush some peppermint leaves in a mortar and pestle.
2. Add them to the carrier oil, and let it infuse for 24 hours.
3. Strain the leaves from the oil, and add a new batch of crushed leaves.
4. Repeat the process for at least 3 days or until the infused oil has a strong aroma.
Benefits: The stimulating effects of peppermint allows it to penetrate deep into your scalp and stimulate the hair follicles. This improves blood circulation, causing hair to grow stronger in the anaphase of the hair cycle.
Related Story: DIY Two-Ingredient Hair Mask For Healthy And Shiny Hair
5. Hair Oil for Hair Growth - Hibiscus Hair Oil
● 8 hibiscus flowers
● 8 hibiscus leaves
● 1 cup olive oil or almond oil
1. Take the hibiscus flowers and leaves and grind them into a fine paste.
2. Heat the carrier oil and add the paste to it.
3. Let the mixture warm up together for a few minutes.
4. Cool it, strain the oil and store for later use.
Benefits: Hibiscus oil improves blood circulation, making hair follicles stronger and stimulating hair growth.