Face Yoga—Beyond Glowing Skin
Certified Yoga Teacher And Author
Practice this 15 minute face yoga routine five-days-a-week to target and tone your face, neck and shoulder muscles.
The following is an excerpt from Health Hour with Mansi Gulati, certified yoga teacher and author, and Shammi Gupta, certified yoga therapist & naturopath. Watch the YouTube video for the full practice as well as the question and answer session.
For most people, face yoga is an effective technique to improve the structural appearance of the face. But, have you ever pondered and thought, how does it actually do that? What are the other advantages? Unless, you are already someone who does face yoga daily, the magic of how comes down to its massage, relaxation and acupressure techniques. But, what makes face yoga effective, exactly?
Specifically, face yoga targets the muscles of cheeks, face, neck, and shoulders to boost circulation, relieve stress, improve lymphatic drainage, and relax overactive muscles. The acupressure techniques in the face yoga gives a natural facelift, firms-up the muscles under the skin—helping control fine lines, wrinkles, expression and other sagging lines.
Doing face yoga improves mental wellbeing and confidence too. Imagine holding poses for extended periods to bring awareness to facial muscles. It helps bring fresh blood and oxygen to the skin, releasing the tension built in the forehead, brows, jaw and tightness in other areas. Depending on the kind of face exercise you do, you train and specifically activate some of the 42 individual facial muscles.
Other Benefits Of Face Yoga
“Yoga does more than keeping your face looking youthful. The contraction and relaxation of facial muscles encourages you to concentrate, stay in the present and relax (similar to a spa),” adds Ms Gupta. Here’s some more light on benefits of facial yoga as me and Gupta discuss further.
Controls the appearance of ageing: Facial ageing not only includes skin laxity, superficial photodamage but also includes deeper substructural volume loss of fat and muscle. A study in JAMA Dermatology says that facial “yoga” can rejuvenate the ageing face by inducing underlying muscle growth.
Improves mental health: A study performed on 53 participants found that doing facial exercises help improve mental health, facial expression, tongue muscle power, says J-Stage journal. Face yoga softens the face muscles to help reduce stress, control anxiety and promote a better sleep.
Controls headache and migraine: Face yoga conditions, trains and strengthens the facial muscles to control the frequency and intensity of migraine. Yoga, as an adjuvant therapy in migraine patients finds positive results, says International Journal of Yoga.
8 Face Yoga Exercises To Do Everyday
1. Kapauldhauti Kriya
This facial yoga helps clear toxins from the face and shows improvement in upper and lower cheek fullness.
1. Join the fingertips excluding the thumb.
2. Fill your mouth with air.
3. Use your thumb to press your nose.
4. Bring your head down and hold the pose for 10 seconds.
5. Exhale the air out from the nose.
6. Relax and repeat this thrice.
2. Balloon Pose
This exercise helps to reduce swollen cheeks, puffy and bloated face.
1. Fill your cheeks with air (cheeks look like a balloon now).
2. Put your middle and index finger on your lips.
3. Stretch your eyes wide.
4. Hold the pose for 10 seconds.
5. Release the pose and repeat thrice.
3. Pout pose
This face yoga move helps to get a chiseled jawline and well-defined cheekbones.
1. Make a pout.
2. Stretch your cheek muscles as much as possible.
3. Hold the pose for 10 seconds and release.
4. Repeat this thrice.
4. V Pose
This exercise helps to get rid of dark circles and eye wrinkles. Also, it helps to strengthen your eye muscles.
1. Use your middle and index finger to create a V around your eyes.
2. Stretch your eyes gently down using the fingers and shift your eyeballs to look up.
3. Hold the pose for 10 seconds.
4. Release, relax and do it thrice.
5. Eyebrow raise
This face yoga move brings comfort to your strained and sunken eyes thereby helping prevent tired and old look.
1. Raise your eyebrows up.
2. Blink your eyes for 10 seconds.
3. Release, relax and repeat thrice.
6. Mindfulness pose
Doing this face yoga helps control fine lines of face, brings your migraine under control and aids attaining a good sleep.
1. Hold the center of your forehead using your four fingers excluding your thumb. Apply medium pressure to the center of the forehead.
2. Swipe it gently until your fingers reach tip of your eyebrows.
3. Close your eyes.
4. Now, rotate your eyeballs gently using your index finger in both clockwise and anticlockwise direction for 10 seconds.
5. Release and relax. Repeat this move thrice.
7. Lion’s pose
A best facial yoga exercise for double chin, doing this can help lose that extra facial chub.
1. Look up.
2. Pull your tongue out and hold for 10 seconds.
3. Release, relax and repeat this thrice.
8. Squeeze tap pose
This face yoga exercise helps control stress and anger. It relaxes your mind too.
1. Squeeze your facial muscles in.
2. Inhale using your nose.
3. Begin to gently tap your face. Do it for 10 seconds.
4. Stop tapping, exhale and release.
5. Do this thrice.
You may also like
All time favorites
Copyright Lifetime Wellness Rx International Limited. All rights reserved throughout India.
Reproduction in part or in whole is prohibited. Wellness suggestions and treatments discussed in this issue are only indicators of what makes one healthy or not. It may not be an accurate assessment of what’s specifically ideal for you. Consult with your doctor before undertaking any treatment.
Copyright @ 2020 UR Life