Imagine gorging on delicious dishes and enjoying the best of foods without a worry. Well, this can be a blessing for some and a curse for a few who have food allergies or intolerances. Even though having or dealing food allergies is considered normal, there are still a few setbacks like not knowing safe food substitutes. What if you could indulge in your favorite dishes and not be troubled by UR allergies. Here is a fab list of food substitutes which can help you beat food allergy woes.
What Is A Food Allergy?
There is a distinction between food intolerance and food allergy. Food sensitivity (bloat, nausea, stomach cramps) is an uncomfortable symptom of food. Nevertheless, the immune system is not active in this case.
The difference between food allergies and food sensitivity or intolerance is the way UR body reacts to the allergens. Food allergy is when UR immune system causes the reaction. Ex Hives, anaphylaxis. Food sensitivity or Intolerance: Is triggered by the digestive system. Ex Nausea, vomiting, gas, stomach cramps, diarrhea. Food allergy reactions can vary from being extreme or mild. Most Importantly, “Listen to your Body”.
When & How Do Allergies Set-In?
Allergies can set in within a few minutes or two hours post ingestion and it also varies on the individuals immune system. If they have strong immunity, then they have more chances of warding off any infection or disease. But if you have strong immunity but if you are allergic to a specific food, then the severity and approach may vary.
Signs & Symptoms
- Swelling of lips, tongue and throat can lead to choking due to an airway blockage. The individual requires immediate medical attention if they are experiencing anaphylaxis.
- Itchy skin or rashes
- Nasal congestion
- Throat tightness
GI (Gastrointestinal) SYSTEM: Nausea vomiting, diarrhea. Cramps. Inflammation of the gut for example, Celiac and Crohn’s disease.
How Is A Food Allergy Diagnosed
- Allergy skin test
- Blood test—Ige antibody test for specific food allergen
- Spirometry—Lung function test
Safe Substitutes For Different Food Allergens
|Cow or buffalo milk||Coconut milk, rice milk, cashew milk oat milk, or Almond Milk. Read the labels for hidden ingredients in small print.|
|Eggs in baking||Applesauce, baking powder, bananas and ground flax.|
|Nuts/peanuts||Toasted oats, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.|
|Whole wheat flour||Coconut flour and spelt flour|
|Flour (Maida)||Rice flour, almond flour and quinoa flour.|
|Soya||Ricotta cheese or Paneer|
|Peanuts||Sunflower or pumpkin seeds|
|Citrus||Applesauce and acidic white wine.|
Proteins That May Cause Food Allergies
|Gliadin||Component of gluten/wheat|
|Lactose||Milk protein therefore lactose-free milk is available.|
|Conalbumin||Present in egg whites|
|Calcium Caseinate||Milk protein additive|
|Lectin||Lentils and legumes.|
Things to Keep In Mind If You Have Food Allergies
- Always read the ingredient list on the food label.
- Maintain a food diary.
- Eliminate one food item in the diet.
- If no signs of allergies. May conclude that particular food may be the cause for the allergy.
- Don’t miss UR doctor’s appointments, whenever you have a doubt make sure to clear it with the help of a certified and trusted medical professional.
- Ask UR doctor and or Registered and Licensed Dietitian the right questions, starting from your daily food choices and lifestyle to get the best diet plan or food substitutes for you.
Even though this method takes time, it is one of the most effective and can help you overcome food allergy woes. Lastly listen to your body’s response to allergic reactions.