If you are experiencing untimely hair loss and thinning, you may have considered hair transplantation. Here are some things you should know about getting a hair transplant.
Hair transplant has been a game changer for many who have been dealing with significant hair loss. High profile names like Wayne Rooney and James Nesbitt have undergone hair transplantation procedures, with Rooney tweeting to his fans, confirming that he has had a hair transplant. While losing about 50 to 100 hairs per day is natural, when the rate of hairfall becomes greater than that of new hair growing, it can be worrying. Many factors can influence the loss of hair—genetics, stress, dietary deficiencies, health conditions, or lifestyle habits. Taking good care of your hair through a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle is important to maintain the health of your hair, but sometimes, the underlying cause of hair loss can be out of your control.
Just to confirm to all my followers I have had a hair transplant. I was going bald at 25 why not. I'm delighted with the result.
— Wayne Rooney (@WayneRooney) June 4, 2011
Related Story: Why Your Hair is Falling Out and What You Can Do About It
Hair transplant is a surgical procedure through which hair from an area of thicker growth (usually the back or the sides of the head) is transferred to a thinning patch. It is important to consult your doctor about whether you are a suitable candidate for hair transplantation. Things such as medical conditions, the type and nature of baldness, quantity and quality of hair in the donor area (the area from which hair is extracted) will affect the viability of the procedure.
Some Things To Know About Hair Transplant
1. According to Dr. Nikhil Puri, consultant, plastic, cosmetic and reconstructive surgery, Apollo Hospital, Lucknow, “Hair transplant is mainly of two types—one, FUE, called Follicular Unit Extraction, and two, Follicular Unit Transplant, known as FUT or Strip Method”. Both have their individual advantages and disadvantages. FUT involves taking a strip of skin from the donor site, from which, hair follicles are separated and transplanted. FUT is the comparatively less expensive option. In FUE, a newer method, hair follicles in groups of one to four are transplanted directly from the back or sides of the head to the recipient area. As a result, there is minimal scarring.
2. A common misconception about hair transplant is that the hair may seem artificial. However, transplanted hair acts like natural hair. It is usual for the transplanted hair to shed in between two to four weeks after the procedure in order to give way to new hair growth. Dr. Puri opines, “The first proper front profile can take about 4 to 6 months to be seen, and you can enjoy the full results by 9 to 12 months.” But it is also important to take care of the rest of your hair, the non-transplanted ones. “Make sure you don’t tie it too tight or pull too hard, don’t use too many chemicals or too much heat, use mild shampoo, and pay attention to diet, lifestyle, and exercise”, he adds.
3. Depending on the technique chosen and the severity of the hair loss, it can take more than one session for the procedure to be completed.
4. The overall hair transplant cost depends on factors like the technique chosen, the number of sessions, your location, and the qualification of the surgeon. On an estimated average, anywhere between Rs. 25000 to Rs. 1,00,000 (or higher) may be the cost incurred for the procedure.
5. In some cases, hair transplant for your head can also happen with follicles from other places in your body. Dr. Puri says, “Hair transplant uses a person’s own hair only. In cases of mega transplant, when there’s not enough hair on the head, chest hair or beard hair is also used.” Hair transplant also works for eyebrows and beard.
6. While some discomfort in the aftermath of the procedure is to be expected, the actual surgery happens under local anaesthesia, and is therefore not a very painful process.
7. About the success rate, Dr. Puri says, “Across the world, the success rate of hair transplant can be above 90 percent, and the hair transplant techniques have advanced so much, patients can get great results, which are permanent.” According to an article published in the Indian Dermatology Online Journal, keeping in consideration body and beard hair as sources of transplant, anywhere between 10 percent to 80 percent of transplanted hair can grow back fully.
It is important to get your hair transplantation done under the care of qualified professionals in a safe environment and at a proper facility.
Related Story: The Secret To Healthy Hair Is On Your Plate
You may also like
All time favorites
Copyright Lifetime Wellness Rx International Limited. All rights reserved throughout India.
Reproduction in part or in whole is prohibited. Wellness suggestions and treatments discussed in this issue are only indicators of what makes one healthy or not. It may not be an accurate assessment of what’s specifically ideal for you. Consult with your doctor before undertaking any treatment.
Copyright @ 2020 UR Life